Old 06-02-2004, 05:25 PM
cheshirecat

Default St. Augutsine grass - too early to sod in Feb?

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:20:05 GMT, "leo" opined:

"Sam" wrote in message
. com...
I am plannning to sod my backyard with St Augustine in early to mid
Feb. Will it survive any other deep frosts we might still get? I
know established St Aug is hardy but I don't know about new sod.

St Augustine is not a great choice in MHOP. It requires tons of water.
Research other types that can work in your yard. I have St Augustine in the
front and a tiff in the rear yard. Wish I did not have the St Augustine.

leo

Many people with shade have this grass, St. Augustine. I have it out front in
full to dappled shade, but each year I dig it out more and more. It's very easy
to remove.

However, lately I've been seeing people using monkey grass (dwarf mondo) as turf
in shade. It can be mowed and it spreads very rapidly. It can take a little
foot traffic, but not regular dog activity. I think it's a good replacement, in
shade, in front yards which are not walked on regularly.