Old 06-02-2004, 05:37 PM
Mark

Default Starting seeds yet?

"Jon Endres, PE" t wrote in message ...
Zone 5, southern Vermont/NY capital district -

I think it's time to get pepper seeds started - what else should I be
starting from seed this time of year? I expect I'll be able to turn over
the soil in my backyard boxes (Bartholomew's square foot method) by
mid-April.

I have started several dozen leeks already, and I have a couple
eggplant seedlings and yellow tomato seedlings already "hatched".
It's still clammy and hovering just below freezing most nights here,
so nothing's going outside any time soon, but I'll have my
heat-friendly transplants ready by mid April.

I figure I'll also start my peppers and grape tomatoes soon to give
them several weeks headstart, as well.

Last year I started everything way too late (late March, as I recall)
and had to wait forever to start getting anything to eat. The way I'm
doing it this year, I hope to take full advantage of the length of the
growing season here.

Mark, Zone 6