Old 06-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Lorenzo L. Love

Default Question:Growing seedlings in peat pots

Richard wrote:
I have been growing my seedlings using the square 2 1/4" and 3" peat
pots. They make transplanting easy and clean. The problem is that if I
am forgetful about watering them (from the top) from time to time and
their large surface area tends to dry them out quite a bit. They are
put into large plastic growing trays with a drainage hole. Can I put
them into trays without drainage and keep about a 1/2" of water in the
tray. Will the water wick up into the pots and provide adequate
moisture or would it tend to drown the seedlings.
TIA, Richard

That's what I do. No problem with drowning seelings. It may depend on
your soil mix, how much water it soaks up, but it works well for me.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"We recognize, however dimly, that greater efficiency, ease, and
security may come at a substantial price in freedom, that law and order
can be a doublethink version of oppression, that individual liberties
surrendered for whatever good reason are freedom lost."
Walter Cronkite, in the preface to the 1984 edition of 1984