Old 06-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Wendy

Default Wild life in flowerpots

Thanks Ben, you are correct, in the number of this type of fungi. Millions
not thousands.
Yes, everything in your post is what I came up with in my research.
I have over 2000 plants so it would be hard to switch to something
inorganic?
Thanks for the info & please, please let me know if you find
something topical that clears it up?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
ink.net...
: Thanks so much for the ID. You underestimate the numbers of them though.
: There several million of them. If you use any organic matter in your
: planting media you will have one or more of the saprophytic fungi.
: Saprophytic is a descriptive term. It simply means it lives on dead
organic
: matter. The common edible mushroom, penicillin, and all composting fungi
: are saprophytic fungi. Yes there are some that are associated with a
: variety of plant diseases, but I am sure the ones I have are simply
: composting the bark in the pot. The only way not have them is to not use
: organic matter in the potting medium. The spores float in the air land on
: any thing moist and grow. Example mold on bread. If there is moist dead
: organic matter and oxygen there are saprophytic fungi.
:
: I did a google search for "saprophytic fungus" and got 808 references.
One
: I found particularly interesting was a parasitic orchid that lives on a
: saprophytic fungus. Yes there a few parasitic orchids.
:
: http://www.rninet.de/bguenter/Orchid...NidusAvis.html
:
: :-)
: Ben
:
:
:
:
:
: "Wendy" wrote in message
: news:vjEUb.15384$fD.7630@fed1read02...
: Hi Ben, I found this stuff in my orchid pots & did some extensive
: research.
: I took a sample to our local Agricultural Dept. & they told me it was
: Saprophytic fungi. They could not tell me how to treat it. There are
: supposedly thousands of different types.
: I have tried many different antifungus treatments & found that
: repotting helps.
: One item I came up which is called PrimaStop but it is not allowed in
: Calif.?
: So now when I repot, I wash the plant with a Physan solution first.
: If you find out anything more I would love to hear from you.
: --
: Cheers Wendy
: Remove PETERPAN for email reply
:
:
: "Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
: hlink.net...
: :
: :
: : On repotting my mini cats I found some things that were strange to me.
: The
: : strangest was small, white, very hard, smaller than a pinhead, and
: round.
: : They were many patches of them on the bark, on the dead roots and on
the
: : inside of the flowerpot. They were held together and to the surface
: with
: : white strands that remind me of fungus mycelium in compost. I think
: they
: : were too hard to be eggs or fungus, so I cannot guess what they might
: be.
: :
: :
: :
: : Has anyone here seen anything like this. Is there a website that
might
: help
: : to identify this and maybe an insect or two??
: :
: :
: :
: : Thanks again,