Old 06-02-2004, 11:02 PM
WiGard

Default Installing pavers on dirt GH floor

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:11:19 -0500, Trent-Lion wrote:

In article , WiGard
wrote:

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:37:04 -0500, Trent-Lion wrote:

In article , madgardener
wrote:

Putting sand on top of the weed barrier certainly won't deter weeds.
Whatever weeds there are will surely take root in the sand.

Forget the weed barrier.

Early in this project, I reported that I had put down pavers without a
weed barrier, was getting weeds, and asked about using Round-Up in a GH. I
believe the advice I got was take up the pavers and start over, with a
weed barrier. Charley's Greenhouse says, "Before laying down a loose floor
material it is important to remember the weed barrier to prevent weeds
taking over. ...." It seems that GHs are art, not science, and that "best
practices" are yet to be determined. Thanks for all help.
T-L

Last summer I worked in a nursery which had hoop greenhouses. Their floor
consisted of pea gravel over weed barrier. I doubt whether they had sand
beneath the weed barrier. I still saw weeds.

Since you are using pavers, maybe weeds won't be much of a problem except
around the edges where walls meet floor. If I were to have my own GH, I
would consider screen doors and screens over all openings. I would also
resign myself to pulling weeds.

You're going to do just fine with your GH. As you tweak it to suit your
needs, you will make it more workable. Have fun!