Old 07-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Wendy

Default Wild life in flowerpots

Interesting stuff Ben & if this fungus isn't detrimental to the plants, then
it's not what some of my plants have.
There was a time where it was so bad, I could pick out which cymbidiums'
had
the flak, (my word for this), just by how they looked. The roots were
definately decomposed & a strong
mushroom odor! It would be attached to everything, the pot, pseudos, roots &
potting medium! I have lost a few plants too.
So now everything gets a bath in Physan, before repotting.
I would still like to try the recommended PrimaStop but as I mentioned they
will not
ship it to Calif.?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
link.net...
: Did you find anything that suggested that this type of fungus could be
: detrimental?? Unless someone knows of a reference to this particular
: fungus, I will consider it beneficial for the following reasons.
:
:
:
: Any orchid root than can use fertilizer uses the nutrients released in the
: decomposition of the planting medium by fungus or bacteria.
:
:
:
: I know that many species of both decomposition bacteria and fungi give off
: growth inhibiters. The organic matter is going to break down whether it
is
: in a pot, on the forest floor, or even on a tree trunk. It would be
: possible that if a bacterium invaded first it could inhibit the growth of
: fungus and vice versa.
:
:
:
: [When an epiphytic plant establishes its self on the bark of a living
tree,
: the bark under the plant becomes infected with either a bacteria or a
fungus
: and breaks down providing nutrients for itself and the plant that improved
: the habitat and made it possible to grow here. This often eventually
kills
: the cambium layer. The bacteria and fungus then can then grow on into the
: wood underneath. For this reason my parasitology professor insisted all
: epiphytes were in fact parasitic.]
:
:
:
: On one web site I visited, it was reported that many orchid seeds would
not
: grow, in nature, unless invaded by a saprophytic fungus. I see the
majority
: of them as beneficial.
:
:
:
: I did find specific examples of orchids that benefit or need saprophytic
: fungus. I found disorders of other plants where saprophytic fungus were
: involved. I found nothing that indicated a negative effect on orchids by
: saprophytic fungus.
:
: If any one knows of a website that describes damage done to an orchid by a
: saprophytic fungus, please let us know the address.
:
: Ben
:
:
:
: "Wendy" wrote in message
: news:5ETUb.16413$fD.3380@fed1read02...
: Thanks Ben, you are correct, in the number of this type of fungi.
Millions
: not thousands.
: Yes, everything in your post is what I came up with in my research.
: I have over 2000 plants so it would be hard to switch to something
: inorganic?
: Thanks for the info & please, please let me know if you find
: something topical that clears it up?
: --
: Cheers Wendy
: Remove PETERPAN for email reply
:
:
: "Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
: ink.net...
: : Thanks so much for the ID. You underestimate the numbers of them
: though.
: : There several million of them. If you use any organic matter in your
: : planting media you will have one or more of the saprophytic fungi.
: : Saprophytic is a descriptive term. It simply means it lives on dead
: organic
: : matter. The common edible mushroom, penicillin, and all composting
: fungi
: : are saprophytic fungi. Yes there are some that are associated with a
: : variety of plant diseases, but I am sure the ones I have are simply
: : composting the bark in the pot. The only way not have them is to not
: use
: : organic matter in the potting medium. The spores float in the air
land
: on
: : any thing moist and grow. Example mold on bread. If there is moist
: dead
: : organic matter and oxygen there are saprophytic fungi.
: :
: : I did a google search for "saprophytic fungus" and got 808 references.
: One
: : I found particularly interesting was a parasitic orchid that lives on
: : saprophytic fungus. Yes there a few parasitic orchids.
: :
: : http://www.rninet.de/bguenter/Orchid...NidusAvis.html
: :
: : :-)
: : Ben
: :
: :
: :
: :
: :
: : "Wendy" wrote in message
: : news:vjEUb.15384$fD.7630@fed1read02...
: : Hi Ben, I found this stuff in my orchid pots & did some extensive
: : research.
: : I took a sample to our local Agricultural Dept. & they told me it
was
: : Saprophytic fungi. They could not tell me how to treat it. There are
: : supposedly thousands of different types.
: : I have tried many different antifungus treatments & found that
: : repotting helps.
: : One item I came up which is called PrimaStop but it is not allowed
in
: : Calif.?
: : So now when I repot, I wash the plant with a Physan solution
: first.
: : If you find out anything more I would love to hear from you.
: : --