Old 07-02-2004, 03:08 AM
Ben Lurkin

Default Wild life in flowerpots

OK, at this point, the fungus was growing only on the media and dead roots.
I still believe that the roots died as a result of a bad transplant job a
year ago last fall. I have kept potted plants for 60 years, but I still
consider myself a newby with orchids. I cut away the dead roots rinsed with
water and planted in new media.

Would your experience indicate that the fungi begins in the media and then
moves to the roots?? Saprophytic fungi excrete digestive enzymes to break
down the dead organic matter, and then absorb the nutrients. Some of these
enzymes could damage [read kill] roots of some plants. Of course I am
speculating here. The fungus would grow on dead roots.

In the organic garden; decomposition and disease fungi are different
species. But, for anything in biology every rule has an exception. It is
never safe to say always. Also in the crowded conditions of pots and a
greenhouse, miner infestations can become epidemics. I never have a problem
with cottony aphis outdoors, but when the plants come in, in the fall I must
be observant. Some years one gets in and will multiply very rapidly without
the predators that are outdoors.

There are compounds available for killing fungi on some vegetables and roses
at the organic gardening supply houses. These fungi live on the leaves
defoliating and killing the plant. I use one on roses and another on
cucumbers. As I have not previously had a root problem, I have not looked
into a safe way of dealing with them. Many fungicides are extremely
poisonous and not acceptable to me as an organic gardener.

I will try and do more research in the coming weeks.

Ben

"Wendy" wrote in message
Interesting stuff Ben & if this fungus isn't detrimental to the plants,

then
it's not what some of my plants have.
There was a time where it was so bad, I could pick out which

cymbidiums'
had
the flak, (my word for this), just by how they looked. The roots were
definately decomposed & a strong
mushroom odor! It would be attached to everything, the pot, pseudos, roots

&
potting medium! I have lost a few plants too.
So now everything gets a bath in Physan, before repotting.
I would still like to try the recommended PrimaStop but as I mentioned

they
will not
ship it to Calif.?
--