Old 07-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Travis

Default sodding yard, ok to checker?

SJE wrote:
I have a new house that has no landscaping in the back. I want
to sod St Augustine, but due to the size (probably 4000 sq ft
or so) the cost concerns me. Would it be okay to checker
squares (the full rectangular piece that comes in the pallets,
not plug size) of sod? I was thinking of just laying it down
so the corners meet, maybe some overlap, so I would need 40-50%
less sod. Would this work? I don't mind if it takes some time
to establish, I just don't want the sod to die and have to
start over again. Would there be problems with the grass not
being level?

The ground is soft clay/sand, properly graded.

Why not use seed?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5