Old 07-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Ray

Default Wild life in flowerpots

While the fungus itself might not be detrimental to the plants, its mere
presence indicates that the condition of the medium is...

.. . . . . . . . . . .
"Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
link.net...
Did you find anything that suggested that this type of fungus could be
detrimental?? Unless someone knows of a reference to this particular
fungus, I will consider it beneficial for the following reasons.

Any orchid root than can use fertilizer uses the nutrients released in the
decomposition of the planting medium by fungus or bacteria.

I know that many species of both decomposition bacteria and fungi give off
growth inhibiters. The organic matter is going to break down whether it

is
in a pot, on the forest floor, or even on a tree trunk. It would be
possible that if a bacterium invaded first it could inhibit the growth of
fungus and vice versa.

[When an epiphytic plant establishes its self on the bark of a living

tree,
the bark under the plant becomes infected with either a bacteria or a

fungus
and breaks down providing nutrients for itself and the plant that improved
the habitat and made it possible to grow here. This often eventually

kills
the cambium layer. The bacteria and fungus then can then grow on into the
wood underneath. For this reason my parasitology professor insisted all
epiphytes were in fact parasitic.]

On one web site I visited, it was reported that many orchid seeds would

not
grow, in nature, unless invaded by a saprophytic fungus. I see the

majority
of them as beneficial.

I did find specific examples of orchids that benefit or need saprophytic
fungus. I found disorders of other plants where saprophytic fungus were
involved. I found nothing that indicated a negative effect on orchids by

saprophytic fungus.

If any one knows of a website that describes damage done to an orchid by a
saprophytic fungus, please let us know the address.

Ben

"Wendy" wrote in message
Thanks Ben, you are correct, in the number of this type of fungi.

Millions
not thousands.
Yes, everything in your post is what I came up with in my research.
I have over 2000 plants so it would be hard to switch to something
inorganic?
Thanks for the info & please, please let me know if you find
something topical that clears it up?
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
ink.net...
: Thanks so much for the ID. You underestimate the numbers of them

though.
: There several million of them. If you use any organic matter in your
: planting media you will have one or more of the saprophytic fungi.
: Saprophytic is a descriptive term. It simply means it lives on dead
organic
: matter. The common edible mushroom, penicillin, and all composting

fungi
: are saprophytic fungi. Yes there are some that are associated with a
: variety of plant diseases, but I am sure the ones I have are simply
: composting the bark in the pot. The only way not have them is to not

use
: organic matter in the potting medium. The spores float in the air

land
on
: any thing moist and grow. Example mold on bread. If there is moist

dead
: organic matter and oxygen there are saprophytic fungi.
:
: I did a google search for "saprophytic fungus" and got 808 references.
One
: I found particularly interesting was a parasitic orchid that lives on

: saprophytic fungus. Yes there a few parasitic orchids.
:
: http://www.rninet.de/bguenter/Orchid...NidusAvis.html
:
: :-)
: Ben
:
:
:
:
:
: "Wendy" wrote in message
: news:vjEUb.15384$fD.7630@fed1read02...
: Hi Ben, I found this stuff in my orchid pots & did some extensive
: research.
: I took a sample to our local Agricultural Dept. & they told me it

was
: Saprophytic fungi. They could not tell me how to treat it. There are
: supposedly thousands of different types.
: I have tried many different antifungus treatments & found that
: repotting helps.
: One item I came up which is called PrimaStop but it is not allowed

in
: Calif.?
: So now when I repot, I wash the plant with a Physan solution

first.
: If you find out anything more I would love to hear from you.
: --
: Cheers Wendy
: Remove PETERPAN for email reply
:
:
: "Ben Lurkin" wrote in message
: hlink.net...
: :
: :
: : On repotting my mini cats I found some things that were strange to

me.
: The
: : strangest was small, white, very hard, smaller than a pinhead, and
: round.
: : They were many patches of them on the bark, on the dead roots and

on
the
: : inside of the flowerpot. They were held together and to the

surface
: with
: : white strands that remind me of fungus mycelium in compost. I

think
: they
: : were too hard to be eggs or fungus, so I cannot guess what they

might
: be.
: :
: :
: :
: : Has anyone here seen anything like this. Is there a website that
might
: help
: : to identify this and maybe an insect or two??
: :
: :
: :
: : Thanks again,