Old 07-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Hal

Default Salt in a Nutshell

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:39:14 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

I am just going to toss my biased 2 cents in. You should add NONE unless you
are treating some condition and even then, you should know what you are
dealing with before you dose. I know penicillin kills a lot of stuff but I
don't take it every day just in case. IMHO, salting your pond is the same
concept.

USDA recommends 200 to 500 ppm as an indefinite (permanent) salinity.
It relieves osmotic stress and prevents nitrite toxicity. This level
does not directly treat diseases or parasites, but it may allow fish to
more easily fight off and prevent them. This level is 2-2/3 to 6-2/3
ounces per 100 gallons. For 800 gallons, it would be 1.3 to 3.4 pounds.
As you can see, the precise level isn't important, and these levels are
far below those that affect plants. Reference: Table 3 in USDA
"Calculating Treatments for Ponds"
http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/aquanic/pu...srac/410fs.pdf
n Rod

Reference is probably old and out of date, but the idea is still alive
in some ponders.

Regards,

Hal