Old 07-02-2004, 08:34 PM
TZ

Default Questions about Brassovola nodosa fragrance

I am very lucky in that the first generic B. nodosa I bought, nearly
killed, and then regrew is very fragrant even in the day under dim
light (starting on the day the flower opens no less!). The scent is
addictive perfumy so that it is difficult to walk away from the plant
(there is probably some silly official fragrance term for this such as
"buoyantly playful"). I then bought a plant with super-duper parents.
The flowers are big but there is no scent at all under any
conditions. I think that to be sure you either have to buy a clone
known to fragrate or buy a previously bloomed plant. Same with
Zygopetalums.

My B. cuculata smells like B.nodosa plus citrus. I immediately
thought of scented industrial bathroom cleanser. Smells good, but then
again so does the restroom at MacDonalds.

Good luck with it.