Old 07-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Vigorous evergreen climber - any ideas?

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Thinking of which, Nick; do you remember I mentioned Clematis rehederiana
some long while ago and said it was evergreen? I remember you expressed
surprise but said it might be with us? Well, it was up until the frost a
few days ago, so I suppose the answer is that in a mild winter down here, it
will be.

Yes, that makes sense. So far, Cambridge has had an incredibly mild
winter (-3/4 Celcius), and I have just pruned my Passiflora caerulea
back while it was still nominally evergreen. I was ill and forgot to
bring my Punica granatum and Feijoa sellowiana inside during the 'hard'
frosts, but they have taken little notice - the former has no leaves,
of course.

I shall have to see if I get any flowers off the Holboellia - it is very
happy, but the flowers seem very sensitive to spring frosts, of which
we get many. Interestingly, a Cymbidium which is doing well but we
don't like (flesh pink flowers) seems happy with mild frost but its
(slightly past it) flowers dropped dead. I didn't realise that they
were as tough as that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.