Old 07-02-2004, 09:27 PM
Richard Kerry

Default Vigorous evergreen climber - any ideas?

excuse my ignornance, but what exactly is OP?

kind regards,
richard

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Nick Maclaren7/2/04 7:23

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
Richard Kerry7/2/04 10:56

Could any of you recommend a vigorous evergreen climber? I need a

climber to
cover a south facing wall about 25 feet wide and 25 feet high?

Something
that is quick growing............

Where do you live?

And what is your soil like?

For MOST responses, the immediate answer is Clematis armandii. There
are other answers for many locations and most soils.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thinking of which, Nick; do you remember I mentioned Clematis rehederiana
some long while ago and said it was evergreen? I remember you expressed
surprise but said it might be with us? Well, it was up until the frost a
few days ago, so I suppose the answer is that in a mild winter down here,

it
will be. The Muehlenbeckia which is on the same wall is still going

strong
and is evergreen but might not be everyone's cup of tea. It's certainly
vigorous but not of much interest in terms of flowering etc. and perhaps

not
quick enough for the OP - must say that I really like it, though.
Our Rosa banksiae is evergreen and I think it would be hard to find a more
vigorous rose to train up a house wall - it's up in the gutters if we're

not
careful and is threatening to bloom any minute now. It did throw out some
flowers in January of last year and then bloomed again most wonderfully
later in the year. In fact, given the right location, I think that could

be
a good choice for the OP (no cutting back of course!)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk