Old 08-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Evergreen Gardenworks

Default [IBC] Black Pine cutting

At 08:26 AM 2/7/04 +0100, Theo wrote:
HI Brent
very interesting explanations I could keep my Penta alive just for 7
months in a north position but not more , a side question
I wish to make come cuttings from my Prunus mume to make some gifts to
friends, as it has grown some long twigs and need to be trimmed soon
how could I proceed? I have no green house but could make a small one
for them

Theo

Kitsune's idea of a mini greenhouse is a good one, you should try that.
It's a cheap and easy way to start cuttings.

Prunus mume _should_ be easy to grow from cuttings, but in my experience it
is anything but. Maybe it's just me, but I struggle with the little
buggers. You should be able to root them as hardwoods taking cuttings now
(although it is a little late). Use typical hardwood techniques. I don't do
hardwoods, so I'm not much help there. I use semi hardwood cuttings in
summer. This is new growth that has just hardened off. For me the period is
June and July. Take three or four node cuttings, three to six inches long.
Use a mild hormone, IBA 0.3 to 0.6% (Hormex 3 or 6). It takes several
months for them to root, and sometimes they will just callus over and root
the following spring. Oddly enough, I have the best success with the tough
little spur growth rather than with the long softer shoots.

For much technical information on cutting procedure see the article at my
website:

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/cuttings.htm

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++