Old 08-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Robert Flory

Default CO2 problems

"Moontanman" wrote in message
I think the yeast was dead.
Regardless, I re-made my own mixture with yeast and baking soda using
the same measurements that come in the packets. I finally got
bubbles, but they only lasted a couple hours then nothing. I then
removed the Nutrafin canister and used a 1 gallon juice bottle,

Ummm, why would you put baking soda in the yeast culture? Yeast is

cultured
with sugar water, the CO2 will be released naturally with out adding

anything
else. yeast and sugar water can create quite a bit of CO2 pressure in a

few
days that can last for weeks if used correctly in a small tank. larger

tanks
need more than one soda bottle to last that long. I use two bottles, a

three
liter bottle to culture the yeast in and a two liter bottle to keep track

of
the bubbles and to help prevent the yeast from backing up into the tank.

No
baking soda should be used at all.

Moon

The big juice bottles work for me. I get a couple of weeks at a run at the
very least. I just dump a bunch of sugar in (about double a two liter
bottle recipe) add water, shake to mix, add red star or what ever I find on
the shelf and have bubbles in a half hour or so.

I stagger two bottles so optimizing the mix isn't worth the trouble.

bob