Old 08-02-2004, 07:50 AM
Suz

Default easy to grow?

I'm now having another look at seeds and want more like this. Totally
easy
to grow, the sort you can't kill. Don't care if they spread like

wildfire -
so much the better. I like cottage style, with really soft pink blue and
white, and lots of soft green. Is there anything like nasturtiums, but

not
bright yellow or orange?

Not in the least like nasturiums, but:
Love-in-a-mist Nigella damascena - pale blue, lacy foliage, flower
appearing in the middle of a lacy haze, followed by big round seed pods
Clarkia - spikes of double white or pink flowers
Alchemilla mollis - big soft green leaves, tiny lime green flowers in
clusters - if it like your soil it will take over ;-)
Nicotiana - tiny seed, scatter it on seed tray, plant out the many
thousands of plants by the clump when they get to about 2 inches high -
best (IMO) have white flowers with strong fragrance in evening
Night scented stock - pale mauve, not much to look at, but again lovely
evening scent.

Shirley poppies for scattering in abundance on bare soil

Perennials to look for (you can buy plants or seeds)
Centranthus ruber - red valerian - available in pink or white. Comes up
every year with fresh green leaves and big heads of tiny pink or white
flowers - self seeds well
Lychnis coronaria alba - downy grey leaves, spikes of white flowers the
size of a 1p piece
Hardy geraniums - buy the odd plant to start with as they're not quite
foolproof from seed.

Thankyou very much Kay. I have lady's mantle already which I adore but now
want all the rest. Shiley poppies I'd never heard of, but don't they sound
scrummy:

Papaver rhoeas Mother Of Pearl (Fairy Wings)
Hardy Annual. One of the easiest garden plants in the world to grow.
Beautiful silky petals in extraordinary shades of colour from greys to dusty
blues, soft pinks, some are picotee edged with white and cream, some are
speckled with reds, whites and creams. Unique and beautiful. Flowers summer.
Height 25-35cm (10
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/...2163/1?SA=1303

and this

Nicotiana x sanderae Fragrant Cloud
sweetly scented flowers
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/...6534/1?SA=1303

and this

Clarkia pulchella 'Snowflake'
I just love this Clarkia! Very, very long blooming (3-4 months). Charming
pure white, single lobed flowers in bunches on a 12-15 plant with slender
leaves. Clarkias of course are very long lasting as a cut flower, and this
one is a beautiful addition to any bouquet! Reseeds!
http://www.anniesannuals.com/signs/b...ulchella_S.htm

Seeing my surname is Clarke, I'll just have to buy that one.

thanks
Suzanne