Old 08-02-2004, 01:22 PM
James Mayer

Default Pineapple questions

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:06:45 -0500, "Ray Drouillard"
wrote:

I heard somewhere that pineapple isn't a real fruit. If I had to guess,
I would guess that it's a whole lot like a strawberry.

Anyhow, I found what looks like seeds in the skin of the pineapple. I
planted a couple of them yesterday, so if they are seeds, I may know in
a couple weeks.

If that's the case, should I assume that growing a plant from the green
top of the pineapple will yield a clone of the original plant?

Usually. Anyone with better info is welcome to butt right in.
I've asked pineapple questions here before and gotten very few

Question two: I had a plant going well, but the inner leaves froze and
died because we didn't move it indoors soon enough. The outer leaves
are still alive, and the root system is still solid, but there is no new
growth. Should I give up on it and toss it out?

Give it a chance. It may send out side shoots and restart from
there. Mine do that when I cut the fruit from the top. It may take a
while. Possibly up to 6 weeks or so. Check down where the leaf
attaches to the stalk and that will be where they come up from.

Ray