Old 08-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Growing Blueberries in Northwest

"paul" wrote in message
om...
I live in the Seattle area and was wanting to grow blueberries in my
garden. Can anyone give me advice on what plants would do well and
what soil conditions are good for Blueberries.

Also, is it best to buy local plants or can I get plants from a
catalog?

Blueberries are available at any local nursery - you will get larger and
older bushes if you buy locally as opposed to mail order. Most will come
from growers in the Skagit Valley or Oregon - one of the largerst blueberry
growers in the country is located there and many area nurseries order their
plants from them. Some should be available right now in bare root form.

Our PNW climate is ideally suited to blueberry growing - our soil tends to
be acidic and we get plenty of moisture, however you WILL need to provide
supplemental watering in summer. They like rich, humusy soil in maximum
sun - add compost and some peat or coffee grounds to increase acidity and
help with moisture retention.

There are dozens of varieties available in a range of sizes with berries
varying from tiny, wild-flavored ones, to ones identical to those sold
commercially and to jumbo sized berries about the same diameter as a
quarter - pick which ever you like the best.

Fall Creek is that large wholesaler I mentioned - they have a great website
with detailed information about different types and growing requirements.
http://www.fallcreeknursery.com/gardener/index.html

pam - gardengal