Old 08-02-2004, 07:24 PM

Default FS misc.

I am lucky that way, neither my mother or her mother bought into the "women are weak,
stupid, etc." mythology perpetrated by the patriarchy. Maybe cause they came from
strong sound peasant stock. So by the time I came along and was part of the 60's
battle to obtain more equality for women my mother and grandmother were right behind
me encouraging me and not jealous of all the opportunities that were open to me and
not them. Altho my mother was able to finish her masters and become a social worker,
a not completely menial career even tho it was one of the few open to women. But I
really think the greatest advantage I had was their tolerance of others not like
them. As a result I didnt grow up hating "groups" of people who looked, thought or
felt differently from me. Rather, those people became a source that saw the world
thru different eyes and I found that when I got to share that vision, my life was
enriched.
I am proud that I am third generation feminist. We are strong, useful human beings
who stand up for ourselves, for all humanity and can now contribute to society in the
fullest measure according to our abilities and unlimited by the bonds of slavery,
religion, or patriarchy that our foremothers suffered under for millennium. I am so
happy I met and married my soul mate, a second generation feminist and similarly
unfettered by the bonds of being the "master" so he too can pursue all the rich
offerings and interests of life without being fettered by "roles". Our choice of
each other was not out of need, neither economic nor a need to complete an
incomplete, rather two mature and complete individuals who relished and rejoiced in
our differences. As my DH says, life is never boring. Needless to say, Yentl is
one of my favorite movies. Ingrid

"Nedra" wrote:
I was afraid it had something to do with Dept. of Children.
Damned ole fools! I hate most women (feminists)
and this is why.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com