Old 08-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Tom La Bron

Default Salt in a Nutshell

Rebel Joe,

Salt is one of those thinks that has turned into an urban legend. The only
thing that people use as references for using salt is Aquaculture research
that is dealing with high stocking loads (as high as one pound of fish per
gallon of water) for fish that are kept only for a short period of time
before they are sent off to market. If you read my response to Hal you see
what I mean.

Ingrid response to you about Brett farm is a little misleading because
Brett's farm are on a salt plain and his water is salty all the time. He
has no choice. He can't get fresh water except for the local municipality
at a high cost when you consider the gallonage of his ponds. He has several
ponds in the 100,000 gallon range.

The thing you have to remember that salt is an irritate to fish which is why
the produce more mucus with the presence of salt being in the water. I also
stated in my message to Hal why the very low percentages of salt in the
water is hardly effective for protecting against nitrite poisoning. If you
concentrate on clean clear water you will be much better off and so will be
your fish. I do not use salt, except as a med when it warrants it for
certain diseases, but I have not had a sick fish in 6 years, so I don't even
need it for that reason. I always say that three things for keep happy
health fish is: 1. Clean water, 2. Clear Water, and last but not least, 3.
Clean water. Keeping your water chemistry in line keeping the water clean
and clear is a much better use of your time, if you do this you will not
have trouble with your fish getting sick. The other thing is that salt is
hard to keep track of unless you are very methodical in your administration
of it to your pond or tanks. Although the salt kits do read salt ppm you
have to be careful of their accuracy and unless you spend a lot of money
very few kits or device will effectively read salinity level accurately in
freshwater.

I also mentioned in message to Hal you have to know what the TDS are in your
own water system. Some are low and some are high. When I lived in San
Diego and Los Angeles the TDS were in the 15,000+ range. In the TDS levels
are sodium chloride and calcium chloride and a bunch of other salts.
Depending where you live you Sodium chloride level may already be in place.

After 40 years of growing, breeding and selling Goldfish it is better to
keep the salt on your dinner table for French fries and corn on the cob and
keep it out of your pond. It is not needed in your pond if you take care of
your water.

HTH and have a good day.

If you have any other questions you can write to me privately if you want to
get more information. I don't do this for a living, but it certainly more
than a hobby done for fun.

Tom L.L.
"REBEL JOE" wrote in message
OK now I'm confussed. I started useing salt because most here said it
was best. Now some say not tożżżż Should I or Not??żż So far
my fish are doing fine. Should I keep it up or not.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND