Old 08-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Mark

Default Gardening for Charity?

(Bpyboy) wrote in message ...
I heard something on the radio about a group called "Plant a Row" (i think?)
where gardeners plant extra stuff, then donate the extras to charity. Anyone
here involved with such a group?

It seems to me, that donating some tomatoes or potatoes will not ever be able
to get corrupted, like SO MUCH of cash donations do (tied up in administrative
BS, or just lifted outright).

I'm thinking of putting in an additional row and looking for some local drop
points for the veggies. seems like a good idea to me--i mean, my garden always
produces way more than i can use anyways!

My kids go to a school that has a "service project" required of the
middle schoolers. This school also has a large field as part of its
grounds; a big stretch of land that is unused.

I have proposed to the curriculum development people that they might
want to combine the service projects with the science/botany classes
and come up with a mutually adventitious concept.

I told them I'll volunteer my time to help build some gardens so the
kids can learn about growing plants, and when the crops come in, we
can sell them at the farmers' market and donate the proceeds to
charity. Either that, or give the produce to a food bank that can use
them well.

Win-Win, IMHO, but I'm still waiting to hear back.

Mark