Old 08-02-2004, 10:32 PM
torgo

Default shopping season is underway...

One of the top local nurseries sent out a newsletter offering 40% off
all "potted bare-root" roses this weekend. Hmmm.... potted
bare-root??? Turns out they got a MASSIVE shipment of bare-roots
from Weeks, which they potted in 3-gal containers there at the nursery
and put out for sale at $22 a pop.

Way overpriced, but 40% off brings it back down to earth, so I did a
little shopping. I bought Rio Samba, Oktoberfest, and Chihuly. I
guess tropical blends will be one of the themes for my garden this
year, since I have Love And Peace on order plus established Granada
and Voodoo bushes already in the yard.

Add those to the Tumbling Waters that has already broken dormancy
soaking in a plastic tub in my kitchen, a Fair Bianca, Kathryn Morley,
Scentimental, and McCartney Rose that are already on order, and a
Betty Boop waiting for me in my mother's yard. Planting season hasn't
even begun, and I'm already out of space!! (Heaven help me when the
late spring clearance sales begin.)

Last year's theme was testing out every red I could find to see what
performs well in hot climates. (I'm still hoping to eventually get La
Passionata here in the USA. Georgia and Florida have similar climates
to Brisbane and Perth, respectively. Does La Passionata do well in
those areas?) So far most of the dark reds and fragrant reds have
struggled. Kentucky Derby, Chrysler Imperial, and Oklahoma seem to be
doing best. We'll see if the others fare better in year two.