Old 09-02-2004, 02:17 AM
Bill Kirkpatrick

Default algae affected by temp?

Principal causes of
BGA are 1) dumb luck and 2) excess nitrates.

Phosphate is a more likely root cause. Temp makes
everything cold blooded, and one-celled, "go faster".

Search the web for PMDD, or "Poor Mans Dupla Drops". Not so
much for the formula, but it's development came from quite a
bit of interesting research regarding algae.

Bottom line, higher plants apparently store Phosphate, algae
(being a 1 celled plant) has no place to store anything. If
you maintain 0 Phosphate - algae can't get any. When tiny
peaks happen (like feeding time), the "hungry" higher plants
suck it out in far before algae "grow into it".

Floating Hornwort, is my answer (bill has Phosphate in his
tap - that makes bill sad) and good light. And, yea, use
PMDD if you use fert at all. When you toss a handful of
Hornwort, the key is you're tossing a chunk of Phosphate.
Neat thing about it, when your water is in trouble it grows
"real fast" and both sucks nutrient and shades the lower
tank. Keep a tastefully blob bobbing around, if it starts
to "explode", let it. When the top of your tank is well
covered, to some depth, yank half. The deeper you let it
grow, the faster the process works.

If you yank once a week, you will eventually notice a week
were the top didn't end up covered. Let that go another
week, the yank half. Soon you'll notice it takes quite a
few weeks to cover the tank. Now you can prune back and
maintain a more tastefully sized clump.

Arg, a tank 1/3 full of Hornwort, yuck. Well, choose,
Hornwort once and again, or algae full time.

Dunter Powries wrote:
Brian wrote in message

All else being equal, will warmer water produce more algae? Blue-green
algae in particular? Just curious, as I have more algae than usual, with
no other parameter changes I know of besides temp.

Yes.

However, warm water probably isn't the proximate cause. Principal causes of
BGA are 1) dumb luck and 2) excess nitrates.