Old 09-02-2004, 04:37 AM
Ben Lurkin

Default Wild life in flowerpots

Are you suggesting that it is possible to keep an orchid alive and growing
in a medium that contains pine and fir bark that is not decomposing?????

Thank you for the reference, I do want to check out your SH methods, It
will be a couple of days before I can get to it though.

Ben.

"Ray" wrote in message
I think that if the roots died as a result of a repotting injury a year

ago,
they would be mostly gone, and only the thin, wiry core would remain

(anyone
know what that's called, by the way?). The fact that fungi were growing

on
the dead roots indicates that it's much more recent.

You must keep in mind that having the roots submerged in any medium is

most
unnatural in the first place. For the most part the plants we grow are
epiphytes that have their roots clinging to tree branches and hanging

right
out in the air, where the types and reactions of fungi are WAAAYY

different.
Surrounding the root system with a potting medium is for OUR benefit, not
the plant's, so we have to keep it in a condition that is not detrimental

the plant.

Being a scientist and engineer by background, I hesitate to make even
marginally unequivocal statements when I do not observe something first
hand, but I'd be willing to put money on the fact that your decomposing
medium led to the loss of roots.

While related mostly to semi-hydroponics, you might find this of interest:
http://www.firstrays.com/roots_and_culture.htm