Old 09-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Default Lecture on growing Apricots in cold climates

Hi dr-solo,
Apricots originally came from northern China, then brought to Persia
and subsequently to the Mediterranean
Area. One of the most cold tolerant apricots I know of, is the
Manchurian variety, which to my understanding
is only tolerant down to zone 2. They will also grow in zones up to 9.
The drawback with the Manchurian variety, is that the fruit is smaller
than most other varieties. Most of the current world's production of
apricots takes place in a band from about 25 to 45 degrees north
latitude (not much of zone 1 in these areas). Like many of the other
fruits we enjoy today, apricots have evolved over the years to tolerate
warmer climates, like California and Turkey. You are certainly right
about late frosts killing the early apricot flowers, but I think there
are more factors involved, like enough cold winter temperatures to set
buds for the coming year.
I will relay to this forum any more facts I can glean from the upcoming
lecture on Apricots.

Sherwin D.

wrote:

http://online.sfsu.edu/~patters/culi...oporigins.html
http://www.sproutfarms.com/apricot.htm
I believe apricots came from extremely cold zones. like 1-2 and have been bred to be
heat tolerant. they are bred to take low chill requirements or they wont flower in
warmer climates.
my understanding was "early springs" with late frosts were the major problem. that
is why delaying bud breaking was so important.
Ingrid

Sherwin Dubren wrote:
Reading some of these replies on this thread, I am surprised that people
do not make distinctions about different varieties of apricots. Like
any other plant, there are types which can be bred to be cold tolerant.
To say one has had bad experiences with apricots does not have
meaning unless you tell us which variety was planted. I have not heard
Robert's talk yet, but I believe he has developed at least 7 new kinds
of
cold tolerant apricots. What happens to less tolerant apricots is that
the cold and wind of the winter kills the buds. Of course, if the
blossoms come out and then there is a frost, it will probably kill any
kind of blossom.

Sherwin D.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/