Old 09-02-2004, 03:32 PM
Rob Halgren

Default Horse manure?

Ray wrote:

Nic is, and has been a proponent for years. While it may work, it's messy
and unsanitary.

Messy, a bit. Unsanitary? I strongly doubt that horse manure is a
vector of human disease. I wouldn't eat it, but you don't eat your
current potting mix, do you? Wash your hands.

I find my greenhouse a pleasant environment to visit. The last thing I want
to do is fill it with sh**.

Horse manure isn't bad. Pig manure... that smell will kill you.
Not a knock against Ray, but this seems to be a common problem these
days. Synthesized fertilizers (made from dead dinosaurs) are great, and
smell ok. Manure (made from live hay, via a live horse) smells a little
funky and so should be avoided at all costs. Yet another instance of
people being so distant from their food that the only thing the know
about vegetables is where they are located at the megamart. I
personally find the smell of horse manure to be kind of earthy. Would I
use it as cologne? No.

Do I use manure in my greenhouse? Don't have one yet. I do use it
in my garden. I moved approximately 100 yards of horse manure into my
garden last year, and will do it again this year. My vegetables were
not only tasty, but prolific and a wonderment to all who shared in the
bounty. If I did try it in my greenhouse, and saw excellent results,
then any visitors would have to cope with the aroma. They aren't
getting to my door without finding that aroma anyway, thanks to my
neighbors with the 30 horses...

I'm not at all saying I would use manure instead of 'regular'
fertilizers on orchids. There is a good reason to use well standardized
products. But in addtion to regular fertilizers? Maybe, if I was
feeling experimental. However, the experience of a farm boy leads me to
suggest: raw horse manu ok. Raw any other manure - no. Compost
anything else for a good long time before you use it (to remove odor,
strength, and any potential pathogens). Chicken manure will burn your
plants right up (and your hands). Horses are particularly inefficient
digestors, so the majority of the excrement is undigested fodder. The
other barnyard animals excrete much more potent waste.

Rob

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit