Old 09-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Horse manure?

Rob Halgren writes:
Messy, a bit. Unsanitary? I strongly doubt that horse manure is
a vector of human disease.

It is. Tetanus and other nasty germs thrive in more or less all kinds
of soil and manure.

and smell ok. Manure (made from live hay, via a live horse) smells a
little funky and so should be avoided at all costs. Yet another

This is wrong. You are talking about the fresh doodahs. If you ferment
the doodahs you get something akin to compost, and almost without a
smell. I use this stuff indoors on my limes, and nobody has complained
about any smell yet. They have said the taste is "fuller" than the
shopbought limes. I haven't had the heart to tell them why.

People _do_ think it is an interesting experience to be able to pick a
lime off the wall in the living room and put a slice directly into the
gin&tonic. Running a 250w HID light for the orchids during the day has
a couple of pleasant side effects.

Geir