Old 09-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Eric Hunt

Default Who We Are (revisited)

Kye,

I ran into Gary in Ecuador last week! He was with a group touring the
country and I was with a different group, from the USA, touring the country.

We ran into each other in Gualaceo at the hosteria where we were both
staying, which is right outside of the world-famous Ecuagenera, and then we
ran into each other again the night of the Quito show opening.

Great guy, glad I was finally able to meet him after so many emails.

When I first saw him at the hosteria at dinner one night, I kept saying to
myself "I know that face, I know that face" and it wasn't until breakfast
the next morning when we were introduced that it came clear - I knew his
face from his webpage!

Anyway, small world, I thought.

-Eric in SF

"Kye" wrote in message
Why am I blushing???

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

I am Kye and I am Male

Where am I? Where do I grow?

I am in Australia and I grow my plant everywhere from my bathroom to my
bedroom to my back verandah + yard and about to build a new bush house too

What do I grow?

Species... More specifically Jewel Orchids, Phals, Pleurothallids, Paphs,
Phrags, assorted aussie natives, terrestrials, vandaceous alliance,
Dendrobes, ... Lets just leave it at species huh... If its there I want it
:-P

The decade of my age?

Exactly mid 20's

How long have I been growing orchids?

A few years now, mabe three maybe four they just kept turning up......

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

( Who thought of these questions... this is a toughie... ) Umm.... Keeping
my Cryptostylis erecta alive and flowering. Especially since this plant
travelled around three states at the beginning of last year with me on
trains, planes and automobiles in a pot, while waiting for me to decide
where I wanted to live.

Miscellanious Info...

I am the editor and web-master for The Australian Paphiopedilum Society

and
member of the Executive Committee.

I am hoping to train to become a botanical taxonomist.

Currently I work for Gary Yong Gee maintaining his orchid collection and
bush-house and (try to) run my own IT business

I am not humble but that never stopped me being ignorant.

I am single and the oldies in the group all remember that doosie I am sure
:-P

I created news://alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Yeah thats me -)
Kye.
... I provide bad-pics on application :-D
( Except for me nekkid in the tree with the Dockrillia bowmannii ... old
joke sorry )

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Hey, I just located this thread from November 2001

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...ptusnet.com.au
Kye had this idea of asking rgo'ers to introduce themselves a bit. I

think
this might be worthwhile to revisit with current posters (and any

lurkers
who wish to participate).

Here are Kye's questions and my answers:

Who am I and What Is My Gender?

Joanna, guess

Where am I? Where do I grow?

Alexandria, Virginia (Washington DC area, USA) -- new US Citizen :-)
Windowsills and shelves of one and a half bedroom apartment

(northern
exposure with supplemental grow lights)

What do I grow?

11 Phals/Dtps + 1 cochleanthes amazonica

The decade of my age?

30s

How long have I been growing orchids?

It will be 3 years in 2003. Got my first orchid as a wedding gift --
probably would not have gotten as hooked into the hobby if I had not
accidentally decapitated it a couple of weeks later. Remorse was a

strong
initial driver. Then a keiki. Then reblooming. And then I became an

addict.
I am beginning to feel the craving again ... DC Orchid Fair next

weekend,
perfect timing!

My biggest orchid accomplishment(s)?

Getting 5 of my orchids to rebloom or initiate spike under my care

so
far, and those that I have had long enough, have rebloomed more than

once.
:-)

Miscellanious Info...

I am a Web application developer, working as a contractor for the
federal government (they closed 3 hours early today because of

snow/ice).
tend to get really excited by whatever my main passion of the
hour/day/month/year/decade is (orchids, crocheting, reading, Web

searching,
etc.).