Old 10-02-2004, 03:35 AM
Hound Dog

Default grow camellia, gardenia and azalea/rhododendron indoor

"Frank" wrote in message
om...
Hello experts,

I'm new to gardening and I'd love to learn. Here is california, san
francisco bay area, I guess zone 10/11? I do not have any yard space.
:-( I live in a condo which has a northwest facing balcony. I saw
beautiful camellia, gardenia and azalea/rhododendron in the stores
now. I'm very eager to try them. I've bought a 5gallon camellia Tom
Knudsen and replanted it in a 13" pot with the help of home depot
expert. I put it in my family room which faces southeast. I put it by
the window to get some sun. I checked books and found some saying that
it is an outdoor plant, some saying it can stay in the containor.
Looks like it is not good for indoor? I feel very upset.

My question is that if I put the plant close to the window so it gets
the sun through window and blinds, is this considered as "direct sun"
or "shade" or "filter sun"? Should I keep it in my family room for
some warm sun or should I move it to the balcony without sun exposure?
What are the choices?

I really want to add some colorful flowers at home. I don't like color
leaf plants. I have peace lily. What are robust flower bearing plants
that can grow indoor? Can I try to grow camellia, gardenia and
azalea/rhododendron indoor?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Tiffany

Had a corded electric mower when I first moved into my last house which had
a very small yard. I spent more time moving the cord out of my way than I
did cutting the grass. I HATED it.

If your yard is small enough, maybe one of the new rechargeable battery
powered mowers would be a good choice.

Hound Dog