Old 10-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Steve Haigh

Default Does it realy fox the fox?

Martin Sykes wrote:
"John Towill" wrote in message
.. .

I've just heard on the radio (so it must be true :-) ) that foxes hate
human hair, so place some in a fox hole, and away they will go, sounds too
good to be true for fox haters with fox infested gardens, but hey, it must
be worth a try.

Hugh F-W said the same on 'River Cottage Forever' and Pippa Greenwood said
it deters deer as well on Gardener's World but one of them (Pippa I think),
added that it had to be male hair. I think they both stuffed it in old
socks/tights and/or tights and tied it to their fences.

Hugh F-W suggested it was the scent of humans that detered the fox, and
hair is the easiest way of distributing the scent when you are not
there. I suspect male hair is better because it is less likely to have
hair spray or perfume in it, or maybe blokes just don't wash as often so
the hair has a stonger scent?

Mind you, in a more recent program, "Tales From River Cottage", Hugh F-W
had installed an electric fence to deter the foxes, so maybe the hair
didn't really work all that well after all. A fence sounds all together
more effective.