Old 10-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Otto Jones

Default Pineapple questions

The seeds resemble flax seed, are small and are found in the flesh of
the fruit, not in the skin. You rarely find them in store bought, but it is
possible. They readily germinate and produce tough little rosettes that
grow slowly.
If the plant you describe has healthy 'stalk' and root system, it may
produce new plants. Take care that you do not overwater at this stage and
rot out the root system. After taking the fruit, I often observe 2 or 3 new
plants forming. These can be left in place allowing a clump to form or they
may be removed and planted out separately.
I have found that a little sprinkle of osmocote in the cup promotes good
growth.
Otto in Orlando - with a 150sqft patch of pineapples.

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message
I heard somewhere that pineapple isn't a real fruit. If I had to guess,
I would guess that it's a whole lot like a strawberry.

Anyhow, I found what looks like seeds in the skin of the pineapple. I
planted a couple of them yesterday, so if they are seeds, I may know in
a couple weeks.

If that's the case, should I assume that growing a plant from the green
top of the pineapple will yield a clone of the original plant?

Question two: I had a plant going well, but the inner leaves froze and
died because we didn't move it indoors soon enough. The outer leaves
are still alive, and the root system is still solid, but there is no new
growth. Should I give up on it and toss it out?

Ray