Old 10-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Fertilizing Question

"Brian" wrote in message
m...
I planted a 12 foot red sunset maple last August and am considering
fertilizing it this Spring. I've read that one should wait at least a
year before fertilizing newly planted trees. I've also heard that one
should indeed fertilize newly planted trees and that its growth will
suffer if it's not fertilized. Can anyone give me the pros and cons
of fertilizing this spring as opposed to waiting until next spring?

Thanks in advance!

Brian

Most horticulturists, including myself, will recommend you wait until after
one full growing season. If you planted in August, that would mean this
coming fall or even next spring. Newly planted trees and other plants need
to establish a sound root system before they attempt lots of new top growth
that fertilizing will encourage.

FWIW, unless your soil is deficient, most plants do not NEED to be
fertilized. That is a concept we humans have applied, assisted by fertilizer
manufacturer's marketing hype, thinking that growing things require 'food'.
Trees and shrubs planted outdoors in decent soil will obtain all the 'food'
they need by pulling necessary nutrients and water from the soil and
manufacturing their own food through a process of photosynthesis. Excessive
fertilizing or fertilizing when not necessary will create more problems than
it will eleviate - the plants become dependent on chemical supplements and
rapid leafy growth encourages insects and diseases. A light application of a
balanced, preferrably organic fertilizer once a year is more than sufficient
but a regular mulching of all your plants with a good compost will achieve
as much, plus improve the soil and encourage its occupants.

I have never applied a fertilizer to any of my trees (other then those grown
in containers) and all are thriving - but I do have really exceptional soil.
There is a long standing horticultural saying - feed the soil and you will
feed the plants. Fertilizing is overly hyped.

pam - gardengal