Old 10-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default Growing Blueberries in Northwest

"paul" wrote in message
om...
How do I know what the PH of my soil is? I compost grass clipings and
leaves and add that to the garden every year.

If you live in the Seattle area, your soil is slightly acidic - in the 6.0
to 6.5 range. This is perfectly adequate for growing blueberries - there are
dozens of commercial growers in the area. If you lime your lawn to control
moss, you may be altering the pH of your compost. Adding a small amount of
peat moss to the planting holes or mulching with coffee grounds (available
free at any Starbuck's) is all that is necessary to amend pH for the
blueberries.

Visit Swanson's Nursery in north Seattle (Ballard area) - they carry a large
selection of blueberries, about 20 different varieties - and their staff is
very knowledgeable about their care and culture. Some will be available now
as bare root plants but a larger selection of container plants will be
available later in the spring. Ask for a 4 year old plant if you want
berries quickly. Tell them Pam sent you :-)) and they should help you pick
some good ones.

pam - gardengal