Old 10-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Katra

Default Pineapple questions

In article ,
Monique Reed wrote:

May I chime in as a botanist/horticulture person?

A pineapple is not one fruit--it is many fruits. Each little section
of a pineapple is the fruit from one tiny flower. The whole
inflorescence (+collection of flowers) matures into the juicy, sweet
multiple fruit that we know as "a" pineapple. The "core" of a
pineapple is the stalk of the inflorescence. In a really good
pineapple, that's edible too. Commercial pineapples have very, very
small seeds.

You certainly can propagate pineapples from a nice slice with the
leaves at the top. You will be taking the growing point of the stem,
and in time it may well flower again.

An old trick to induce flowering in bromeliads: Once the plant is
fairly good-sized, put it in a paper or plastic bag with a very ripe
banana or apple for a couple of days. Ripening fruit gives off enough
ethylene gas to trigger flowering, though it may take a few weeks
(once the plant is out of the bag) to actually get the flowers.

Trivia question of the day: Why does the Jell-o box say not to use
fresh pineapple?

Hope this helps,
M. Reed
Texas A&M

Doesn't fresh pineapple contain enzymes that "melt" gelatin? :-)

I'd not use fresh papaya either.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,