Old 10-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Council supplied composter-a good deal?

"Colin" wrote in message
om...
I have never composted before.

My council is offering up to two Blackwall Compost Converters (330
litre) per household. A two month trial then £19 each including
delivery (RRP £49.95 it is claimed).

Good, if the bin has a small door at the bottom to enable compost to be
shovelled out from the bottom.

Optional Accessories:

Composter bases at £9 each "to improve aeration and drainage" (RRP
£12.95);

Waste of money.

Organica Activator at £5 each "500 ml bottle should last at least a
year" (RRP £7.15);

Use your own urine instead. It is cheaper and probably more effective.

Compost aerator at £6.95 (rrp £9.95).

What is that supposed to do that the handle of a rake cannot do?

Please advise as a new person to composting what is necesary, what is
cheap etc? What is an unnecessary accessory?

In short: buy ths bin and nothing else. I did that and I am turning out
excellent compost.

Franz