Old 11-02-2004, 02:19 AM

Default attn: Paghat, visiting seattle area

Thanks Pam!!!
It looks like I'll be really busy between yours and Paghat's
recommendations. I'm tempted to go to Heronswood, but I doubt I'd have
enough room to bring everything back. Dan Hinkley gave a talk a couple of
weeks ago here in Michigan it was very good and informative. His book, the
explorer's garden is great reading.
Thanks again,
Jim

In article IikUb.225251$xy6.1156130@attbi_s02, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , wrote:

There's much else possible to see garden wise all around Puget Sound, but
these would be the cream of the cream for King County and a fun ferry ride
away in Kitsap County. Pam may have some additonal recommendations, as no
one person ever gets to see quite everything cool around here, there's
just so darned much that is great.

paghat did a great job of rounding out some of the better highlights. I
would also include a visit to the Bellevue Botanical Gardens - in late April
or early May, the perennial border (which is recognized as world class)
should be in full glory with irises, peonies, the elusive blue Himalayan
poppy and scores of other early season bloomers and they have a very decent
Japanese style garden with the usual rhodies and azaleas. If those plants
strike your fancy, a visit to the Rhododendron Species Foundation garden in
Federal Way is a must - probably the largest collection of species and
hybrid rhododendrons in this country, if not the world and May is the peak
of bloom season. It is truly breathtaking.

And if you do travel across the Sound, call to make an appointment to visit
Heronswood. Not only is this a first class nursery offering some of the best
and most unusual plants you are likely to find, the display gardens are
quite magnificent and very inspiring. Bring your credit card and a large
suitcase, because this place is impossible to leave without at least one,
usually a dozen or more, plants. I also highly recommend the Elizabeth C.
Miller Garden in north Seattle. Once the private residence of a remarkable
collector and plantswoman, this is now a privately funded garden foundation
devoted to the preservation of a large quantity of unusual and rare plant
material and the continued propagation of the same. Call in advance, tours
are limited in number due to its location and need to not disturb the
neighborhood.

I am not quite so discriminating about eating establishments......IMO,
Seattle and its surrounds is highly underrated for great dining experiences
and as long as you avoid the fast food joints, pretty much anywhere you
choose will offer a great meal. I found the best Mexican restaurant I have
ever encountered outside of Mexico in the Rainer Beach area after a visit to
nearby Kubota gardens - who'd have thought??

http://www.heronswood.com/
http://www.rhododendron.org/display/...Foundation.htm
http://www.millergarden.org/
http://www.bellevuebotanical.org/visitor/fmvisitor.htm