Old 11-02-2004, 04:49 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default herbicide for dandelions?

The message
from Brian Mitchell contains these words:

I don't suppose there's a dandelion-specific one by any chance?

Last year dandelions appeared in plague numbers all over my 3 acres of
mostly roughish pasture and I couldn't keep on top of them with
mechanical means. Now, mid-February, they're already flowering again!!

The thing is, I don't want to poison everything, such as the many
(other) wild flowers. I don't *want* to poison anything, and the
bumblebees are particularly fond of --maybe dependent on-- early
dandelions. But I do need to control them fairly drastically right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

You used to be able to get a weedkiller applicator. I don't know which
weedkiller would suit, but it came as a long tubular reservoir with an
applicator at the bottom and a handle at the top.

You placed the applicator on the weed and pressed.

OK, I know three acres id a fair area, but if you divide it up into a
grid you'll be surprised how quickly you can do it. (Yes, I have! And a
six acre field at that, and I dug the weeds out with a thistle spud and
a parsnip fork.)

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/