Old 11-02-2004, 06:02 AM
Katra

Default Avocados from seeds? Any tips?

In article ,
(Shystev99) wrote:

While I agree somewhat, and have finally learnt to google most of the
time, what good are these discussion lists if we can't discuss questions
like this?

I agree, Isn't the purpose of newsgroups like this is to have a forum people
with certain interests can go to share information, talk to other people,
share
successes, share failures, share ideas for how to avoid problems, and most
importantly have a place where we can learn and teach?
I apologize to the entire board for snapping at the poster who told me to
learn
how to use google. I don't honestly know if the person meant it as a personal
shot or attack but the way it was worded

step 1: learn how to use a web search tool like google.
go to
http://www.google.com
enter search string like "grow advocados"

To me looked more as a remark that was meant to imply I was either lazy or
stupid. If I was I would have never listed or explained the 2 ways of
planting
a seed the way I did, Had I been to lazy or to stupid to use google I would
have simply came to the board and in a 1 sentence question I would have asked

I have an Avocado seed, How do I get it to grow?

I didn't do that, I researched, Shared what I had found in that research and
then asked people who may have had hands on experience if there were any
successes or failures with either method I found through that research.
If I was wrong to ask a question then I truly apologize to everyone. But my
view has always been when you stop asking questions you stop learning.

I apologize to the group for snapping back at the poster, But I don't
appreciate being talked down to. If I feel someone is taking a shot at me,
I'm
gonna shoot back.
Steve

You don't owe anyone an apology... ;-)
In my book, he was being rather rude!
If he'd wanted to help, he'd have posted a few useful
links from google to prove his point. Grins

Now back to your question, even tho' the one I finally got to grow died,
I planted it directly in a pot and stuck it out on the north side of the
house where it got east and west sun in the morning and evening. I left
the top exposed and gave it good drainage. It eventually got planted in
the ground but we get freezes here so that is probably why I lost it. I
tried to protect it with leaf filled cages but that apparantly was not
good enough...

And no, this browser has no spell checker so please forgive.

Mom and dad sprouted many of them with the toothpick and water method,
but I don't recall them ever getting a tree out of them. :-)

Planting a whole, rotting avocado would probably work better. That
really is the whole point of a plant making fruit! Not for us humans to
eat, but to either provide fertilizer for the new seed, or, to encourage
animals to eat the fruit, thus spreading the progeny when the animal
drops the non-digestible seed out on the ground in a pile of animal
fertilizer. ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,