Old 11-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Patio plants

In article ,
FF wrote:
I got two large planters for Christmas and they're sitting out there empty while I
dither. I've already got a fig and a bay in planters, with a variety of things,
daffs, nasturtiums, broad beans, chrysanths etc an a big huddle of pots nearby.
The garden is south-facing & in the SW but rather windy as it's on the top of a hill.
I also don't have much space to bring things in for the winter.

There are lots of plants that will normally be tough enough for
those conditions. I was interested that Feijoa sellowiana and
Agapanthus africanus don't seem worried by mild frost, and a
fair number of citrus can handle it, too. The advantage of a
planter is that it waterlogs less than soil, but it is more prone
to freeze solid.

It is worth being a bit adventurous, but don't rely on a plant
liking the conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.