Old 11-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Default grow camellia, gardenia and azalea/rhododendron indoor

"Frank" wrote in message
om...
Thank you all for your replies!

I'll move my camellia to the balcony and hopefully it will be

happy
about it. Here is my new gardening plan for the year. I'll buy

a 1G
gardenia and 1G azalea. I found them in wal-mart nursery. They

are in
6" long pots so I'll have to transfer them to 8" pots for the

first
2-3 years. For indoor, I'll buy anthurium, begonias and orchid

for
colors. How does this sound? I heard it is difficult to grow

orchid.
What species are good for a beginner? Moth orchid? cyum....?

What are good nursery stores? I checked online and went to a
"Summerwinds" near me. Their plants and pots are more expensive

than
HD&walmart. Is it true that HD&walmart are always cheaper?

No. And the plant quality is often inferior -- if only because
the hired help knows little or nothing about plants.

I found
some labels on the plants are the same as those on HD plants.

So if
they are from the same source, maybe I can just go with the

cheaper
store ones?

The distributor may well sell lesser plamts to the discount
chains.

You are almost always better off going to a local nursery that
has been around for a while. You _may_ pay a bit more, but you
can get expert help, some kind of a guarantee (doesn't cover
stupidity), and better plants.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.