Old 11-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Harry Muscle

Default How much light is enough for plants in 55gal ?

"Aqua" wrote in message
m...
I have a 55gal tank - it's 48" long, 20" high and 12" deep. I have a
stanard one-bulb hood on it - the kind where there are 2 lids you can

lift
at the front to feed the fish. Right now I have one 40-watt bulb. Is

there
some formula for figuring out wattage ? Can I buy a 75-watt or a

100-watt
bulb for this one-bulb hood ? Do I need a new hood ?

I dont know about your current hood but you need minimum two more
40watt bulbs. This will give you little more than 2 watts per gal. Or
go for 2x55w bulbs.

Regards
Dominic

You can probably get away with adding just one more bulb, that would give
him almost 1.5 wpg, which would be ok for medium light plants. Adding one
more bulb should be doable without having to get a new hood, adding two
would probably require a bigger hood. You can always switch to compact
fluorescent though.

Harry