Old 11-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Steve Calvin

Default Spelling issues

Frogleg wrote:

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:05:32 -0500, Steve Calvin
wrote:

Actually most browsers have a spell checker built in. But really, who
cares? If you can figure out what the person means in a world wide forum
then that should be good enough.

This is my *least* favorite argument for poor communication. We could
conceivably manage, probably not in print, with pointing and grunting.
OTOH, I regard newsgroup posts as "casual," not requiring rigorous
analysis before sending. Neither my typing nor my spelling is
error-free, and I don't expect everyone else's to be. If I were
composing a letter to editor of a newspaper, I would be *very* careful
about spelling, grammar, structure, etc. I would proofread,
spell-check, re-arrange, and otherwise edit my

snip

My point was that people world wide participate in Usenet groups. For a
majority of them, english is not their primary language. They are to be
commended for making an attempt to communicate for foreign people in a
tongue not native to their land. All of this nitpicking over grammar,
sentence structure, etc is poppycock and only belongs in a University.

If we can figure it out, it's good enough. Or maybe there's a
rec.write.only.totally.proper.english group for people with this hangup.