Old 11-02-2004, 06:43 PM
FF

Default Patio plants

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:09:10 +0000, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , FF
writes
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:00:06 +0000, Kay Easton wrote:

In article , FF
writes

And what
about
the contorted hazel?

The contorted hazel looks lovely in winter and spring, and like a heap
of green dish rags the rest of the year.

Drat! That's what I thought you'd say.

There's a contorted willow which doesn't look so bad in the summer

I've gone off the idea now anyway. We have a load of Russian vine that piles over the
fence from next door & you can really have too much of a squiggly effect, can't you.

underneath things that flower later in the year. I'd really like to have
something a
bit architectural, I think.

Figs are great for that. Otherwise you could go for any of the plants
with spear like leaves. Or a suitable choice of conifer - pick something
that takes your fancy, and be prepared to chuck it if it gets too big or
too tatty.

Thanks. The fig we've got is self pollinating, but another one wouldn't do any harm
and they are nice to look at. I'm not a great one for conifers (too many Rupert
cartoons as a kid?) but something pointy and frondy might work.

Liz