Old 11-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Horse manure?

"Ted Byers" writes:
It is up to the individual to get advice from his primary health care
provider as to what the daily recommended intake ought to be for each

In my case, my doctor also tries to sell me books and
stories. *grumble*

He _will_ be swapped for someone else if I actually need serious
medical care.

That is debatable. I don't mind C either. Like all languages, there are
nasty synactic corners, but overall, it is the most useful language I have
studied, with Perl being a close second.

Perl is nice for small scale stuff that needs to be done in a
hurry. We were in for quite a ride when we tried to do a 2000+ line
publication engine in it.

I cut my teeth on Simula. Ole Johan Dahl and Kristen Nygaard were some
of my tutors. That may have caused my innate hate of all things
C++-ish.

Performance problem? Strange. I can't see more than a 10 or 20%
degradation over using vanilla C. CPUs are inexpensive. Out-of-control
pointer bugs are not.

That depends very much on what you're doing. The bulk of my work has
involved intensive number crunching and simulation modelling. Between the

In that case, Java is out. No discussion.

painful to adapt to Java. Yes, I know both Java and C++ are Turing
complete, so anything that can be done in one can be done in the other in
theory, but that sidesteps the important issue practicability.

Yes, they are theoretically equivalent, but not necessarily in the
same time frame.

As a point of fact, I am looking at a new database development that will
likely use Java applets for client side processing and PHP+SQL for server

I don't envy you that task. Applets are notoriously hard to do in such
a way that they actually work consistently with what passes for
browsers in Redmond and elsewhere.

Geir