Old 11-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Default Filter Design

BV,

You may not need any external filter.About 1 1/2" of medium gravel, sub-sand
filter and good power heads will handle 2 12" oscars in a 70 gal tank. No
external filter needed for most 55 gal set ups. About every 6 mo to a year
you need to clean the sand. You can do it in the tank if you strip out
plants, etc, toss the gravel to lift the gunk, and use a small under water
pond pump pulling through a tupperware and filter sponge. I could send you
a pic of the tupperware setup. I have run my oscar tank for about eight
years now. Recently I added philadendron to pull out some nutrients and
decorate.

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net
"BenignVanilla" wrote in message
This is probably a better question for alt.fishtanks, but I figure I know
you people better, and I live it here...

I am thinking of experimenting with a DIY filter for my 55gallon tank. I
figure working on small designs may yeild some fun project for the pond.
Anyway, does anyone care to discuss some designs?

My tank sits on a table of sorts and is 3 feet or so off the ground. There
is a staircase behind it so building a filter above it, and letting it
gravity feed back into the tank could be problematic. Letting the tank
gravity feed down to the filter and then pump back up to the tank would be
problematic (I think?) because then the tank can conceiveably drain.

So where do I go from here?

BV.
www.iheartmypond.com