Old 11-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Kay Easton

Default clematis ahead of itself.

In article . 12,
Victoria Clare writes
A large flowering, late clematis - sorry forget the variety - didn't get
pruned in the autumn (I forgot). I've just noticed it's now producing new
shoots all over.

Would it be better to let it get on with it, or prune it now, a bit late?

I thought the theory was early flowering clematis - prune after
flowering, late ones, prune in the spring? But I find that my early
flowering ones, which I don't prune, do fine, but the late flowering
ones have all their new shoots nibbled by slugs and just disappear.
Since I'm not into killing slugs, I shall content myself with early
flowering clematis and late flowering honeysuckles.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: