Old 12-02-2004, 03:21 AM
barrett

Default Fertilizing Question

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message .. .
(Brian) wrote:

I planted a 12 foot red sunset maple last August and am considering
fertilizing it this Spring. I've read that one should wait at least a
year before fertilizing newly planted trees. I've also heard that one
should indeed fertilize newly planted trees and that its growth will
suffer if it's not fertilized. Can anyone give me the pros and cons
of fertilizing this spring as opposed to waiting until next spring?

I always mix Osmocote slow release (24 month) fertilizer in the area
outside the root ball when I plant a tree. It encourages the roots to
spread outside the root ball. I never fertilize after that. I have
planted thousands of trees from conifers like metasequoia, white pine,
norway spruce, larch and Douglas fir to hardwoods like red oak, cutleaf
maples, white birch, fruit trees and Bradford pear.

The most important thing to do with a transplant is to quickly
establish a good root system. Use a fert. higher in phosphorus and
potassium, lower in nitrogen. Phosphorus aids in root growth;
potassium aids in disease resistance and cold hardiness. Your soil PH
is probobly just as important if not more so. Contact your
agricultural agent to find the PH range for the specified plant.