Old 12-02-2004, 02:43 PM
torgo

Default shopping season is underway...

Unfortunately, Classic Roses does not seem to carry it. Same story
for a chain of Canadian garden centers that carries most Delbard
roses.

However, it is once again listed on Delbard's own web site. (Do we
have you to thank for waking them up and reminding them they once sold
a very nice red blend HT with huge fragrant blooms?) I've sent a
few e-mails to places here that have Delbard connections, and one of
them is already looking into ordering it.

So maybe there's hope for getting it here in North America after all.

Other tidbits I've found on it: it also sold under the name "Betsy
Ross". It's not a true red, but a "red blend". It appears to be a
small bush, typically less than a meter tall. Does this sound like
the La Passionata that you have? How well does yours rebloom?

On 11 Feb 2004 21:04:57 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

In torgo wrote:
I'll have to look into the legality of having it sent to an
intermediary destination (England or Italy, perhaps) and then from
there to here. Or maybe I'll just have to take up hybridizing and
spend the rest of my life trying to create my own...

I think you might be able to find La Passionata in England, torgo. It's
certainly mentioned on the Peter Beales site, as I recall.

And as for 6" blooms being the small ones, that's a little bit
exaggerated - although nearly all of the blooms ARE 6" plus when fully
blown. It's definitely the largest red bloom I've ever seen, and one of
the most fragrant. It's a nice healthy bush too, with very large
foliage and very thick stems.