Old 12-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Bumblebee

Default Squirrel repellent?

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:21:32 +0100, mf197421 wrote:

I haven't been troubled by squirrels as yet but I occasionally set
traps
to catch stray cats which are then put to sleep by a local authority.

Chris Bee [/b]

I find this message upsetting. There is nothing illegal in the actions
described in it, but, rather, what is upseting is the casual tone in
which putting cats to death is presented as a solution to the "bother"
they cause. After all, it's living beings, able to feel pain, to attach
themselves to people etc., we are talking about.
From this standpoint, I was particularly dismayed by the systematic
nature of the reader's practice to "occasionally put out traps.." I'd
have hoped that all the horrors of last century would have taught us to
respect and value all life, or, at the very least, to think seriously
about the necessity of killing a living being before taking such a step.

mf197421

We don't have Squirrels in Australia but then perhaps you haven't
realised that this is an Australian newsgroup. We have a problem with
introduced species though, such as Foxes and Cats both of which are in
plague proportions in some Districts. Our Local Council educates
people not to feed stray cats and also encourages residents to trap
them so they can be euthantised.
--

Chris Bee