Old 12-02-2004, 06:53 PM
David J. Bockman

Default [IBC] Pruning Prior to First Major Trunk Chop?

No, 2-3 inches above the base is perfect. That will ultimately give you a
tree of about 12-14 inches in height. Unless the tree is extremely
'unvigorous', you will get dozens of bud breaks all over the wee stump.
Touch none of them the first year, let them all throw out as much length as
possible-- you'll get 4-9 feet of growth out of some of them. In the early
spring of 'year 2' (the year after the first chop'), trim back all those
branches wa-a-a-ay back to the base, leaving one-quarter inch to half-inch
stubs all over, but leaving the potential leader slightly longer (I leave 2,
the heir & the spare). Let them go nuts again this next year, then repeat
the pruning process. I seal some stubs, others I leave open to rot out a bit
and get craggy.

Don't even worry about primary branch placement at this point...

Bunabayashi Bonsai On The World Wide Web: http://www.bunabayashi.com
email:

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++